Make the most of your naturopathic and counselling consultation
My treatment strategy
Our work together is a collaboration; I will tailor a treatment plan intended to provide relief of your symptoms as well as address the underlying causes that brought you to the clinic. I will both support and challenge you to be the best you can be, while utilising a range of natural remedies, naturopathic practices and counselling techniques to help you achieve the health goals that are important to you.
Naturopathic tools I use include nutrition, herbal medicine, homoeopathic remedies, flower essences, diet and lifestyle strategies.
In the area of counselling, my work is informed by a person-centred approach and incorporating evidence based techniques as well as non evidence-based or experimental techniques gleaned particularly from motivational interviewing, solution-focused therapy, and acceptance & commitment therapy amongst others.
What happens in your first consultation
You will receive a questionnaire before your first consultation. This is to give us a head start; find out what you want to achieve with your treatment, what strategies you've already tried, and what you feel is olding you back. You may be asked to complete a food diary. You will be provided with a consent to treatment to sign at your first consultation; this is our contract which sets out the conditions of treatment and limits of confidentiality, privacy provisions, cancellation policy etc.
- When your arrive for your consultation we will first talk in general about all that has brought you to the clinic.
- After gathering general information, I will ask you many detailed questions while taking notes as we methodically check your diet and what is happening in all your body systems: digestion, respiratory, immune, skin, reproductive and urinary. We will talk about your emotional wellness, how you manage stress in your life, your sleep, your energy levels overall. If you have blood test results available we will review these also.
- Then we will do some physical checks: examine your fingernails, your tongue and irises.
- Following that, a salivary pH test and a zinc status test.
- Once we have gathered as much information as possible, I will propose a treatment plan.
What to expect from treatment
My aim is to help you feel better as soon as possible; but sometimes symptoms can be worse before they get better, and adjustments to your treatment is usual as it progresses. Everyone is an individual, and responds to treatment at different rates. It's good to ask me what you can expect from your treatment and to initiate discussion about the results you're experiencing, particularly if your treatment is not progressing as you expected.
What to bring to your first consultation
- Any medication, vitamins, herbs or other supplements that you’re taking at the moment.
- Any blood tests or pathology reports from specialists over the last few years. You may need to collect these from your GP's office.
First consultations $134 allow 90 minutes
Follow up consultations $93 allow 60 minutes
Supplement costs are extra
- If less than 24 hours notice is given to cancel or reschedule your appointment, or if you fail to show up for your scheduled appointment, you will be charged the full fee for your consultation.
- Payment by card (Eftpos, Mastercard, Visa or American Express) is preferred. Cash is OK.
- HICAPS instant health fund rebates are available if your health fund supports electronic reimbursement.
With the exception of certain situations, the information you provide remains confidential and is secured. It is important to be aware that there are exceptions in which all practitioners are mandated by law to break confidentiality. This can occur when:
- The information you have provided is subpoenaed (officially requested) by a court of law
- You have disclosed information that indicates you or another person may be at serious risk of harm
- Your prior written approval has been obtained to provide a written report to another professional agency, e.g a general practitioner, lawyer, or another therapist.
Supervision as a naturopathic practitioner and counsellor
I am committed to confidentiality and it is important for me to consult with professional colleagues and supervisors to draw on available resources and experience, in order to provide a high standard of care for you. When this occurs it will be conducted without reference to names or other identifying information.
Privacy: How information about you is collected and stored
This clinic complies with federal and state privacy legislation:
- Information about you is collected to enable contact with you, and assist with appropriate diagnosis and treatment.
- Your information is not shared with other people or other health professionals unless you provide written permission to do so.
- Your records are held securely for 12 years, or until you turn 25, whichever is the longest time.
- You can access records kept about you at any time upon written request
Termination of treatment
How long treatment continues depends on many factors, including the severity of your condition, how quickly you respond to treatment, how compliant you are with changes, and your health goals. Sometimes people attend treatment to address a specific health goal, and decide to terminate treatment when it has been resolved. Others may decide to continue with treatment in order to maintain their improvement or address other issues.
I will periodically review your treatment goals with you and initiate discussion about your progress. Termination of treatment usually happens when we both agree that your treatment goals have been achieved, however you are free to terminate treatment at any time.
It is best for us to discuss treatment termination prior to ending contact. Please feel free to talk with me about any concerns or questions you have about your treatment.
If I think that you would be better served by other treatments I will talk with you about this.